Sunday, March 3, 2013
Trippy #1 - Ta Da!
There is Trippy #1. I am pretty sure she is the one of a series of quilts I will make, as this quilt was fast and fun to make. That picture is of her all washed and dried and out in the sun. She is about 57" square after washing and has a scrappy binding too.
After suggesting to Laura Jane that quilting a cross hatch was too much work, that is what I went and did. I explained why I needed to be doing a fair bit of quilting here.
The cross hatch quilting along with all the other seams in this quilt resulted in a really lovely puffy diamond effect. This quilt is so cuddly and had a nice drape too.
For her back, I used this stunning IKEA print. I think it might be time to hit IKEA for more backing fabric, it is so fun and effective.
That photo really lets you see how the shrinking and pulling in of the thread and batting is what is adding the puffiness. I did prewash all the fabrics, including the back before I started this quilt.
That photo is before the wash. You can see the prints a bit better. I did repeat some of them, as I had cut strips from yardage and had enough for more than one block with each cut. Many of my favourite fabrics can be found in this quilt.
There are hundreds of quilters making this quilt on flickr and instagram (search #scrappytripalong). The excellent tutorial by Quiltville is here, if somehow you missed it earlier. I have already started a 2.5" strip pile, so I can add to it as I cut for other things so I can make another.